There’s just so much awesome stuff going on this weekend surrounding R.E.M.’s 30th Anniversary that I felt like we needed somewhere to list all of it. Then I asked a few friends how they’ve celebrated R.E.M. anniversaries over the years. Some of the responses were completely cheesy fanstuff and then others were truly touching. So I made a list of 30 Ways to Celebrate R.E.M.’s 30th This Weekend! (in no particular order).
1) Donate to Nuci’s Space or another charity for their b-day.
2) Attend REM30 at the Melting Point on Friday.
3) Read our buddy Gordon Lamb’s interview with R.E.M. manager Bertis Downs.
4) Tune into WUOG on Monday from 12-5pm EST and listen to the R.E.M. tribute. We’ll be giving away one copy of the “Finest Worksongs” compilation every hour. We’ll also be giving you a SNEAK PEEK… Listen in and hear an exclusive track…
5) Join the REM@30 Group on Youtube and leave the guys a birthday message.
6) Two words: STAND. DANCE.
7) Read the 30 Days to Chronic Town articles on Abandoned Couches.
8) Grab some guitars, friends, and a camera. Find a Silo.
9) Cover rare or obscure songs with your buddies. Lose points if it’s this though.
10) Listen to every R.E.M. album. In order.
12) Plant a tree, veggie garden, or flowers a la Bill Berry.
13) Stylish hat wear is a must. ———————->
14) Donate some books to a school or a library since Peter Buck really likes to read.
15) Catch one of the special R.E.M. film showings at Cine.
16) Pull a Mike Mills and go play some softball or golf. Take a friend.
17) Read the Athens Banner-Herald R.E.M. articles.
18) Try learning an R.E.M. song on guitar. “Everybody Hurts” is a good one to start with.
19) Go to an art gallery or teach a child how to use a camera like Michael Stipe.
20) Find your favorite show’s setlist. Make a playlist. Enjoy.
21) Scour the internet for really old or hilarious R.E.M. photos like so.
23) Take an Athens Music History tour.
24) Twitter users, hashtag everything REMish with #rem30.
25) Listen to artists that inspired R.E.M.: Patti Smith, Big Star, The Byrds, Television, Velvet Underground…
26) Support an independent record store. (Record Store Day is April 17th)
27) Listen to R.E.M. inspired bands: Pavement, the Replacements, Nirvana, Coldplay, Radiohead…
28) Watch some of the videos online or the dvds.
29) Listen to other Athens artists: Love Tractor, Pylon, Widespread Panic, Vic Chesnutt, Modern Skirts, Dead Confederate, Dreams So Real, Oh-Ok..
30) Strike your best Stipe pose!
Anyway, there are a ton more great ways to spend this weekend. R.E.M.’s anniversary (which is also Kathleen O’Brien’s birthday!) is April 5th so you’ve got a good 4 days to celebrate.